PrEP on the NHS
Umbrella is now offering PrEP funded by the NHS, with a combination tablet of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and emtricitabine.
We will be prioritising people deemed at higher risk, via a waiting list. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Men (cis and trans) and trans women
- HIV-negative test in previous year
- Anal sex without a condom in previous six months
- Likely to have anal sex without a condom
- HIV-negative partner of HIV-positive person
- Partner not known to be viral load-suppressed (<200 copies/ml) and on antiviral therapy for six months or more
- Sex without a condom likely before viral load is fully suppressed
- Other HIV-negative people who are assessed as being at similarly high risk of HIV
To discuss PrEP, please call us on 0121 237 5700 and ask to be booked in for a telephone appointment.
Taking PrEP safely
If you choose to buy your own PrEP, the tests necessary to take PrEP safely are available via Umbrella. Before you start it is very important to make sure that you are HIV-negative and have had kidney function testing.
To book an appointment for these tests, please call us on 0121 237 5700.
Staff can also give information leaflets on PrEP. For patients' reference, these leaflets are available to download from the University Hospitals Birmingham website.*
For further information on other places where PrEP is available, please see the Birmingham LGBT and I Want PrEP Now websites.
* Please note, the leaflet available via this page was designed to be printed and handed to patients in clinic. It was not designed with web accessibility in mind. If you require an accessible version of this or any other document from University Hospitals Birmingham (UHB), please see UHB's accessibility statement.