- Our services
- Not sure which service you need?
- Service locator
- STI self-sampling kits
- Alcohol and substance misuse
- Cervical screening (smear tests)
- HIV testing
- Post-exposure prophylaxis after sexual exposure to HIV (PEPSE)
- Pregnancy testing and advice
- Psychosexual services
- Services for under-16s
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) services
- Survivors of sexual abuse and assault
- Termination of pregnancy (abortion) referrals
- Walk-in appointments
- What to expect
- Book an appointment
- What services do GP practices provide?
- Services we don't offer
Alcohol and substance misuse
Drink, drugs and sex
Drink and drugs can make people feel less nervous, which might make having sex while drunk or high seem like a good idea. However, sex and alcohol and/or drugs can be a dangerous combination.
These are just some of the dangers you might face if you have sex while drunk or under the influence of drugs:
- It’s always best to use a condom to avoid sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and/or pregnancy. However, you may be more likely to forget to use one if you’re drunk or on drugs
- If you use another form of contraception, e.g. the pill, you may forget to take it
- Both alcohol and drugs can lower your inhibitions, which might make you more likely to do something you don’t really want to
- You may lose self-control, which could put you in a position where you may be more susceptible to sexual assault, including rape
Umbrella can help if you have any sexual health concerns, for example if you think you may have an STI because you had sex without a condom.
Alcohol and drug addiction and abuse
If you or somebody you know is having problems with misuse of drugs and/or alcohol, Umbrella's partner organisations can help.
Aquarius helps under-18s in Birmingham overcome the harm caused by alcohol, drugs and gambling.
Reach Out Recovery
Reach Out Recovery offers free and confidential treatment and recovery services to support anyone in Birmingham who is experiencing difficulties with drugs and/or alcohol.
Solihull Integrated Addiction Services (SIAS)
SIAS is a partnership between four organisations which are jointly responsible for the delivery of drug and alcohol services in the Borough of Solihull.